Aith Gun

Aith Gun
Breezy Isles, Shetland

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Seasonal foodstuffs

Well then, summers bounty has begun, some we still have to wait for. I have had a few things from my pots. Pots because the prune that concreted the back garden poisoned the remaining borders with what ever is under it, the joys of a rented house

The above will be our first strawberry, this I am excited about, have you seen how much they are in the shop and how far they travel. Folk want these seasonal fruits all seasons, which now makes them the same price all year around.

We decided to grow stuff we use that costs the most.


Above is Rocket, a peppery leaf salad. This comes in bags, what you see there is about 1.20 pounds from the shop, for me, a quarter of a packet of seeds for a pound, some reusable soil and tray. I did get a mini greenhouse on wheels for this, but now have the lettus bug and now looking at another one for the leaf stuff. There is nothing nicer I have now found....


At the bottom of the picture above is the Sweet Laurel, or Bay Tree. Behind it is a wee bit of Norway (more to come) to the left is a recued Japanese Mapel which was rescued from the recycle bin at a neighbours. Ten bay leaves costs about a pound in the shops, we have had this plant now for 6 years and used about 10 leaves per week as well as the gifts.



This is the start of my potato plant, I say the start, those few leaves have been trying for the sun but someone keeps covering then up again to promote more growth and more tatties, his brother/sister is too so mistreated. I am so too looking forward to fresh new pots...are you?


The lovely lady above is Rosemary. Most excelent with lamb and in gravy, but for those who are not into meats is will add a dash of flavour to most potato preperations and some salads, there are some cheeses too, mainly the mouldy, cultured type, you can use the flowers as well. I have a meat needle, a sorta crocodile clip on a skewer, you attach the strand of rosemary to it and can thread it through what ever you want, it was originally design for threading suet through beef joints, a most fantastic thing from the olden days.

Chives are a good thing too, and you can also eat the flowers. A mild onion flavour. You can grow the odd bit of garlic clove and use the tips in a similar way, great in salads and on some hot buttered new potatos.

I like radishes too, as a test, with my free French Breakfast Raddish seed packet I thought I would try some in these small pots. Oh, what ever happened to those hot spicy raddishes I used to get when I was little. The whole raddish family used to be fun but these guys are a wee bit lame. Oh, the rest of my Norway contingant are behind them, as you can see one is not too well, but seems to be comming round, he is called Ian.

!!!Warning, not suitable for those folk who like small fury things!!!


I did not grow the above two myself, they just do that, they have also driven off the Red dudes who are smaller and so much cuter, but these guys have now found a purpose. Spatchcocked (look it up) on a BBQ. There is a growing trend to eat these little fellas, there is open season on them as they are not native and not protected and taste so much better than the wirey rabbits around here. Rest assured, I will not be eating these two as they have young. And I dont think the local kids would like the idea of me using a Black Widow Catapult to encourage them onto the hot coals...

More food to come, Cugerettes, or baby marrows, various thyme and nasturniums (WHAT I HEAR YOU SAY!), these are very peppery, the leaves are fine, the flowers are excelent for decoration and edible but the seed pods are to die for. Real pepper hot......Enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment